Vilka nationella eller regionala åtgärder mot coronavirus är evidensbaserade?

Diskutera allmänt om vetenskap, pseudovetenskap och folkbildning, t.ex. vetenskapsteori eller forskningspolitik.
Nemesis

Re: Vilka nationella eller regionala åtgärder mot coronavirus är evidensbaserade?

Inlägg av Nemesis » lör 11 sep 2021, 12:36

pwm, för ett tag sen uppdaterade du oss ofta om situationen på Nya Zeeland. Hur kommer det sig att du inte längre är intresserad av det?
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Användarvisningsbild
pwm
Kontakt:

Re: Vilka nationella eller regionala åtgärder mot coronavirus är evidensbaserade?

Inlägg av pwm » lör 11 sep 2021, 12:42

Nemesis skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 12:36
pwm, för ett tag sen uppdaterade du oss ofta om situationen på Nya Zeeland. Hur kommer det sig att du inte längre är intresserad av det?
Man har fortfarande färre än 30% fullvaccinerade och färre än 60% med påbörjad vaccinering. Mexiko har gått förbi igen så man är åter sämst i OECD.

Användarvisningsbild
pwm
Kontakt:

Inlägg av pwm » lör 11 sep 2021, 14:21

Spanien, med 75% fullvaccinerade, har skickat en kvarts miljon vaccindoser till NZ -- de kom fram med flyg igår, så kanske kan man komma igång igen.

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 11 sep 2021, 14:36

pwm skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 14:21
Spanien, med 75% fullvaccinerade, har skickat en kvarts miljon vaccindoser till NZ -- de kom fram med flyg igår, så kanske kan man komma igång igen.
Yes, as I mentioned a couple of days ago. I have no idea why pwm thinks that they had stopped vaccinating: "kanske kan man komma igång igen." They hadn't.
dann skrev:
ons 08 sep 2021, 15:28
pwm skrev:
fre 03 sep 2021, 16:13
Granskande media i Nya Zeeland verkar inte särskilt imponerade av landets vaccinationsprogram, utan konstaterar att man i veckan gick förbi Mexiko i vaccinationstäckning så man är i alla fall inte längre sämst i OECD.
Stuff skrev:Yet while we are going faster than Australia, we’re still behind them – as the Opposition is keen to point out. Indeed we’re still behind almost every other developed country, although we did pass Mexico this week, meaning that phrase “the bottom of the OECD” no longer quite applies.
Som vidare framgår av artikeln tror man inte att Australien inte kommer att passeras, med tanke på de vaccinbeställningar som gjorts, så prognosen är att man fortsätter att vara sämst i klassen i den anlosaxiska världen.
Stuff skrev: And there’s some chance New Zealand won’t even keep this rate up while the demand is still there. Ministers are working urgently to source some new vaccine doses to keep up with current record demand, as it is going far faster than expected, and the country isn’t expecting really big new batches of doses until October. The Ministry of Health only had 184,000 doses on hand as of August 29, although this doesn't count doses already distributed to DHBs.

This doesn't mean the rollout will stop. But the Government has suggested it could mean it has to slow back down to around 350,000 doses a week – well below the half-million managed last week.

This could well see us stay near the bottom of the OECD for another month at least. And just when we were about to overtake Australia.
Did pwm even read the Stuff article? Is he aware that "the half-million managed last week" is more than 10 percent of the population?!

There is no reason to worry about the Kiwis! They are doing fine! Total cases: 3,829, i.e. throughout the pandemic! (In comparison to Sweden where the number 3,829 registered cases would mean a very good week - and an awful lot of unregistered cases.)
It's impressive how well NZ used the time early on this year to plan a vaccine roll-out that will race past the most common comparisons.
At no point have the UK, US, Aus, Sweden etc achieved the daily vaccine numbers NZ is hitting. Nor even China or Japan.
Bob Miller on Twitter (Sep 8, 2021)
Worry about unvaccinated children in Sweden instead.

And since pwm and the Stuff article enjoyed comparing New Zealand's vaccine rollout to Mexico's (for some obscure reason), I assume it is appropriate to make another comparison:
For vaccines that require multiple doses, each individual dose is counted. As the same person may receive more than one dose, the number of doses per 100 people can be higher than 100.
COVID-19 vaccine doses administered per 100 people, Sep 5, 2021: CUBA - SWEDEN (Our World in Data)
And the gap is widening every day.

Användarvisningsbild
pwm
Kontakt:

Inlägg av pwm » lör 11 sep 2021, 14:40

Vidare ser jag att myndigheterna ökat på antalet matpaket som delas ut till människor som inte kan försörja under rådande restriktioner; man är nu uppe i 6.000/dag i Auckland.

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 11 sep 2021, 14:50

dann skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 14:36
Yes, as I mentioned a couple of days ago.
Correction: It was yesterday:
dann skrev:
fre 10 sep 2021, 06:43
New Zealand still reducing the number of cases and still vaccinating:
Auckland COVID cases drop again as New Zealand presses on with Delta curbs (Reuters, Sep 10, 2021)
Pfizer vaccines from Spain mean no slowdown in rollout (NZ Herald, Sep 10, 2021)
11 community cases of COVID-19; 6 new cases in managed isolation; more than 61,000 vaccines administered yesterday (NZ Ministry of Health, Sep 10, 2021)
I wish Denmark had administered 61,000 vaccines yesterday ...

Användarvisningsbild
pwm
Kontakt:

Inlägg av pwm » lör 11 sep 2021, 15:01

Inte heller Australiensarna verkar imponerade av NZ:s taktik kring Covid-19.
Scott Morrison skrev: Morrison said one only needed to look at what was happening in New Zealand, with an extended lockdown announced on Monday, to prove striving for Covid-zero was not a realistic option with the Delta strain.

“New Zealand can't do that. They were following an elimination strategy. They're in lockdown. The way through is to get to those 70 per cent and 80 per cent marks [for vaccination] and open safely,” he said.
De har som sagt en bra bit kvar med sitt vaccinationsprogram för att nå det.

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 11 sep 2021, 16:26

pwm skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 15:01
So has Morrison.
If I were Morrison, I would shut up about New Zealand's vaccine rollout and mind my own business. He sounds like an Australian version of the guys in charge of Sweden's pandemic response:
The reason the prime minister keeps shifting the goalposts is that his government lost the vaccine supply race long ago
Morrison has laid the blame for the government’s incoherent decisions on the pandemic. But he can’t absolve himself of responsibility for the roads not taken.
Genuinely, this is a very difficult balance. In a pandemic, we need leaders and public health experts confident enough to change their minds when the facts change.
It’s the pandemic, stupid: Morrison scrambles for excuses as fatigue and frustration build (The Guardian, June 28, 2021)
Share of people vaccinated against COVID-19, Sep 10, 2021: Australia, New Zealand
Daily COVID-19 vaccine doses administered per 100 people, Sep 10, 2021: Australia, New Zealand
Share of people who received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine,Sep 10, 2021: Australia, New Zealand

By the way, as more and more countries are running into the problem posed by vaccine hesitancy, the countries lacking vaccines will probably be able to buy the doses that those other countries have lying around in their freezers, the same way Denmark bought 1.2 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech from Romania at one point. Maybe the vaccine hoarders will even have to let them go at reduced prices since there seems to be a considerable surplus at this point. Otherwise, Sweden wouldn't be considering discarding vaccines that are about to reach their use-by date.

Tokig tant

Inlägg av Tokig tant » lör 11 sep 2021, 16:42

dann skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 16:26

So has Morrison.
If I were Morrison, I would shut up about New Zealand's vaccine rollout and mind my own business. He sounds like an Australian version of the guys in charge of Sweden's pandemic response
Var ödmjuk inför livet.
Tag inte allt för givet.

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 11 sep 2021, 17:01

pwm skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 14:40
Vidare ser jag att myndigheterna ökat på antalet matpaket som delas ut till människor som inte kan försörja under rådande restriktioner; man är nu uppe i 6.000/dag i Auckland.
Very laudable, but I guess that pwm's post is intended as a contribution to the Swedish favorite, Alleged collateral damage victims of lockdowns. Vetenskapens värld already did a whole episode about this.

Maybe pwm should make a thread about it. At International Skeptics we have a new thread about collateral damage victims of Covid. So far, it has been about the people who can't get hospital treatment and sometimes die from otherwise treatable diseases because the hospitals have been inundated by Covid-19 patients.

I don't think there will ever be a thread about the way New Zealand has handled that problem ...

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 11 sep 2021, 18:18

Oldies but baddies:
De senaste två dygnen har antalet coronasmittade ökat kraftigt i Sverige.
Nu backar Anders Tegnell, som tidigare sagt att kulmen skulle komma under lördagen.
– Jag var lite för optimistisk, säger han till Aftonbladet.
Tegnell backar: ”Coronakulmen på måndag eller tisdag” (Aftonbladet)
Thanks to Statsegyptologen.

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 11 sep 2021, 19:55

The business world seems to agree with the detour Biden takes when making vaccinations virtually mandatory for a considerable portion of the population
Even in deep red Texas, some employers embrace the president’s vaccine strategy.
(...)
Instead of directly mandating Americans take the vaccine, Biden effectively outsourced the job to the business community. But unlike previous White House interventions in the market — notably including President Barack Obama’s 2010 health insurance mandate — Biden’s action was welcomed by many bosses.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) called Biden’s move “an assault on private businesses,” but businesses in his state’s largest city did not see it that way.
“The context in which this is occurring really matters,” said Harvey, a former energy industry executive. “We’ve been hit hard by this fourth wave [of the virus] … and employers simply must play a role in addressing this problem. We’ve tried it every other way.”
Biden’s vaccine push wins cautious business support as political opponents fume (Washington Post, Sep 11, 2021)

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » lör 11 sep 2021, 22:37

pwm skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 15:01
Inte heller Australiensarna verkar imponerade av NZ:s taktik kring Covid-19.
Scott Morrison skrev: Morrison said one only needed to look at what was happening in New Zealand, with an extended lockdown announced on Monday, to prove striving for Covid-zero was not a realistic option with the Delta strain.

“New Zealand can't do that. They were following an elimination strategy. They're in lockdown. The way through is to get to those 70 per cent and 80 per cent marks [for vaccination] and open safely,” he said.
Du tar alltså Australiens klimatförnekande statsminister som stöd för din ståndpunkt?
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » lör 11 sep 2021, 22:42

pwm skrev:
lör 11 sep 2021, 14:40
Är inte det bra då? Befolkningen skyddas, sjukdom och död minimeras, de som inte kan försörja sig får stöd av staten?

Du kanske är mer förtjust i att staten förbjuder folk att skydda sig?

Skriv svar