Vilka nationella eller regionala åtgärder mot coronavirus är evidensbaserade?

Diskutera allmänt om vetenskap, pseudovetenskap och folkbildning, t.ex. vetenskapsteori eller forskningspolitik.
dann

Re: Vilka nationella eller regionala åtgärder mot coronavirus är evidensbaserade?

Inlägg av dann » lör 27 feb 2021, 12:24

Nemesis skrev:
tor 25 feb 2021, 20:27
Vad hände förresten med dann? Har moderatorerna shadow-bannat honom?
No false rumors, please! :smile2:
I've been occupied with other stuff, but will return occasionally. However, at this point the answer to the question asked by this thread has become too bloody obvious. The only thing that still makes me wonder is why people found it necessary to lie about cases like this:
Our first covid infection was because of forced school attendance. Despite being at risk there was no leeway for me. Our son got infected from an outbreak at school. He brought that infection home to us. I never recovered. I’ve been suffering long term illness for soon one year.
(...)
I did everything right. I followed every recommendation in the proper way. I’ve isolated myself for the past year because I’m at risk. I still got covid twice because I cannot isolate myself from my husband who works a retail job or our son who is forced to attend school.
Totoroinatree on Twitter (Feb. 25, 2021)

Nemesis

Re: Vilka nationella eller regionala åtgärder mot coronavirus är evidensbaserade?

Inlägg av Nemesis » lör 27 feb 2021, 21:05

I en debattartikel i Läkartidningen beskrivs långtidscovid som något psykosocialt: Låt post covid bli startskottet för ett biopsykosocialt kunskapslyft

Den globala expertisen har, föga förvånande, en annan uppfattning:
Burden of long Covid is ‘real and significant', says WHO's Europe director

The burden of long Covid “is real and it is significant”, the World Health Organisation’s Europe director has said as he urged countries to do more to tackle the issue.

There are no precise figures for how many people suffer ongoing symptoms after a bout of Covid-19, but it is thought around one in 10 remain unwell after 12 weeks, and many for much longer, Dr Hans Kluge said.

He told a briefing that as the pandemic had evolved, professionals and patients “have mapped a path in the dark” and stories of people with ongoing “debilitating symptoms” have emerged.

“Regrettably, some were met with disbelief, or lack of understanding,” he said, adding that disability following coronavirus infection can linger for months “with severe social, economic, health and occupational consequences”.

He added: “We need to listen and we need to understand. The sufferers of post-Covid conditions need to be heard if we are to understand the long-term consequences and recovery from Covid-19.”

He said the issue is a “clear priority” for the World Health Organisation and “it should be for every health authority”.
Var och en får bedöma vilka som har störst trovärdighet...
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » sön 28 feb 2021, 19:11

Amina Manzoor skriver i DN idag: Därför vet vi inte vilka åtgärder som fungerar mot viruset

Fast detta stämmer ju inte.
Ranking the effectiveness of worldwide COVID-19 government interventions

The most effective NPIs include curfews, lockdowns and closing and restricting places where people gather in smaller or large numbers for an extended period of time. This includes small gathering cancellations (closures of shops, restaurants, gatherings of 50 persons or fewer, mandatory home working and so on) and closure of educational institutions. While in previous studies, based on smaller numbers of countries, school closures had been attributed as having little effect on the spread of COVID-19 (refs. 19,20), more recent evidence has been in favour of the importance of this NPI; school closures in the United States have been found to reduce COVID-19 incidence and mortality by about 60% (ref. 28). This result is also in line with a contact-tracing study from South Korea, which identified adolescents aged 10–19 years as more likely to spread the virus than adults and children in household settings. Individual movement restrictions (including curfew, the prohibition of gatherings and movements for non-essential activities or measures segmenting the population) were also amongst the top-ranked measures.
David Steadson länkade även till relevant forskning, med anledning av Manzoors artikel, och Löfvens påstående häromdagen att det inte fanns någon evidens för att NPI har någon effekt mot smittspridningen: The impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions on SARS-CoV-2 transmission across 130 countries and territories
Results
There was strong evidence for an association between two NPIs (school closure, internal movement restrictions) and reduced Rt. Another three NPIs (workplace closure, income support, and debt/contract relief) had strong evidence of effectiveness when ignoring their level of intensity, while two NPIs (public events cancellation, restriction on gatherings) had strong evidence of their effectiveness only when evaluating their implementation at maximum capacity (e.g. restrictions on 1000+ people gathering were not effective, restrictions on < 10 people gathering were). Evidence about the effectiveness of the remaining NPIs (stay-at-home requirements, public information campaigns, public transport closure, international travel controls, testing, contact tracing) was inconsistent and inconclusive. We found temporal clustering between many of the NPIs. Effect sizes varied depending on whether or not we included data after peak NPI intensity.

Conclusion
Understanding the impact that specific NPIs have had on SARS-CoV-2 transmission is complicated by temporal clustering, time-dependent variation in effects, and differences in NPI intensity. However, the effectiveness of school closure and internal movement restrictions appears robust across different model specifications, with some evidence that other NPIs may also be effective under particular conditions. This provides empirical evidence for the potential effectiveness of many, although not all, actions policy-makers are taking to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Användarvisningsbild
Procentaren

Inlägg av Procentaren » mån 01 mar 2021, 10:32

Vetenskapens värld i kväll 1/3 kl 20:00
Coronakampens pris. Under ett år har pandemin bemötts med nedstängningar och restriktioner i världen och i Sverige. Gränser har stängts, många länder har infört utegångsförbud, företag har plötsligt stått helt utan kunder och skolor har stängts. Många har insjuknat och dött av coronaviruset - men hur mycket har restriktioner och nedstängningar skadat oss? Vilket pris har själva kampen mot viruset haft?
Kan ses på svtplay fram till 28:e Augusti.
https://www.svtplay.se/video/30291114/v ... start=auto

dann

Inlägg av dann » mån 01 mar 2021, 11:30

Yes, according to Vetenskapens värld, people die with coronavirus, but they die of restrictions:
In the Name of Science
2,5 miljoner människor har dött med covid.
Men hur många har dött av coronarestriktionerna?

dann

Inlägg av dann » mån 01 mar 2021, 16:34

Some of the things I noticed in Vetenskapens värld:

1) Smoking as an analogy:
Han (= Johnny Ludvigsson) påpekar att fler dog förra året av rökning än av corona. Ändå är inte cigaretter förbjudna, och rökare sätts inte i fängelse.
A very bad analogy:
No, smoking is not prohibited, but lung cancer and COPD (KOL) are not contagious, and the guidelines for where you are allowed to smoke are much more strict. You can go to a restaurant in Sweden and share your infection with unsuspecting staff and patrons of the restaurant, but why don't you try lightning up a cigarette at the same restaurant?
And people are not put in jail for not adhering to Sweden's pandemic recommendations, are they? The analogy is probably supposed to be: smokers in jail = people confined to their homes during the pandemic. But it would be worth mentioning that people in the other Nordic countries weren't confined to their homes. (By the way, the other Nordic countries are never mentioned in the SVT program, and it's not hard to see why!)

2) Johnny Ludvigsson also said that some old people would probably prefer dying earlier if they could choose to live in better conditions, but he prefers to ignore the fact that a) most old people would probably prefer to live longer in better conditions, but b) they were never actually given the choice. (As if conditions would improve in response to their choice of dying earlier. Instead, many of them got the worst of both 'choices': miserable conditions in nursing homes and dying too soon of Covid-19.)

3) Agnes Wold, a bacteriologist, presented the idea that more children will develop allergies because their immune systems aren't exposed to the infections the way they would be if it weren't for the restrictions. It is an entirely hypothetical idea, but it would have been extremely interesting to hear if she had to say about children developing autoimmune diseases due to SARS-CoV-2 infections. For some reason we don't hear about this. Long-term Covid doesn't seem to be of interest.

4) Apparently the cases of depression, anxiety and sleeping disorders have been increasing during the pandemic. I wonder if Sweden has had fewer of those than countries with tougher restrictions. And is the anxiety due to fear of the infection or caused by restrictions? Do people get more anxious because they have to wear face masks? Or are they afraid because their fellow citizens won't wear face masks in the middle of a pandemic?

5) An OECD economist talked about lower future earnings due to school lockdowns:
That is a significant share of the world economy. … If you come from a disadvantaged background you have one single chance in life. If you miss that chance, you rarely catch up.
This has been a very popular argument in Sweden, but I haven't seen any evidence or argument to prove it. I have a couple of arguments against it:
a) The educational system is organized as competition. If you don't get good grades, the educational system doesn't conclude that you need more (e.g. an extra year) of education. Instead, you are excluded from higher education, which is the reason why people with a "disadvantaged background" are usually screwed in this system. This is always the case and has nothing to do with the pandemic.
b) However, the pandemic may make it worse, but an extra six months of school would make up for it, which is never considered as a solution to the problem because the problem is not supposed to be solved! It is merely an excuse for forcing children in school. At the beginning of the pandemic, it may even have been a deliberate attempt to spread the virus to reach 'herd immunity' sooner.
Anyway, it is a very bad excuse for exposing children as well as their families and teachers to the virus.

At this point, we move on to the true crime against humanity, the inhumane restrictions!
Men pandemin har kostat mer än så.
2,5 million dog, men coronakampens följder har också kostat …
pandemiåtgärdernas pris … minst lika så många har dött av corona-restriktionerna
6) Vetenskapens värld focuses on Uganda as an example of the toll restrictions have taken on third-world countries.Since many of the people in the Ugandan parliament are elderly (like in the rest of the world), Vetenskapens väld suspects Uganda's measures against the pandemic to have been an attempt to save themselves. That it might also protect the elderly in the rest of the country isn't really considered because there so few of them, apparently:
Men sju av tio i Uganda är under 25. För dem är risken att bli sjuk i covid liten.
I guess Africans don't get long-term Covid, and liten och stor are relative terms, aren't they?!
A Ugandan woman is interviewed. She and her family was hit hard by the lockdown because both she and her husband were unemployed and had no way to feed their children properly. Nevertheless, she is actually able to distinguish and says that the lockdown was good. What was bad was that the state didn't make sure that people's needs were taken care of during the lockdown, i.e. people should have been given food.
Vetenskapens värld ignores this idea because: Lockdown = bad!
Dom fattiga i Uganda har betalat ett högt pris för coronakampen liksom människor i alla andre låginkomstländer.

7) And the atrocious lockdowns have astounding consequences:
P.g.a. nedstängningen av skolan har 13 miljoner småflickor gifts bort. Tusentals flickor har könsstympats.
I guess it has nothing at all to do with weird religious beliefs and brutal customs. The sexual organs of little girls are mutilated because of the lockdowns! It's just gotta be true! They say so on Swedish TV!
(In my opinion, this is another one of those situations where recommendations just don't suffice: Könsstympning shouldn't just be discouraged. it should be eradicated.)

8) And then there's the most holy thing of them all: democracy!
Pandemin har möjliggjort för regeringar med auktoritära tendenser med pandemin som ursäkt, att införa hårdare restriktioner, att tysta ner opposition och regimkritiker på ett sätt som berättigas lättare under en pandemi. … Pandemin har använts som en ursäkt för att begränsa demokratin.
To prove this point, we see footage from demonstrations in Europe, Germany, France, the Netherlands (I think!) where opponents of lockdowns, many of them incited by anti-vaxxers or Trump's insane ideas, have waged war on governments to get rid of lockdowns and restrictions. I didn't see any of the Swedish flags wielded by German Covid-deniers in honor of the Swedish strategy, but I could be wrong. I also didn't hear anybody mention the Swedish restrictions of the size of demonstrations, one of the things that made it possible for ordinary Swedes to spit on people in Sweden who were demonstrating against the lax recommendations.

9)
På Göteborgs universitet finns ett stort demokratiforskningsinstitut, förkortat V-dem. … De har sett att corona-bekämpniningen hotar mänskliga rättigheter. … Frankrike, Italien … Det påminner om Chile efter Pinochets kup. … Rädsla är en väldigt farlig kraft. Det vet vi från 1930 talet. Och de oroar mig mycket.
Well, if that's the case, Sweden must be right! Proper and effective restrictions are obviously anti-democratic. And so is the fear of a fairly lethal and debilitating disease.
What democracy needs instead is a guy like Anders Tegnell who can calm people down, tell them that there is nothing to worry about: The pandemic will never get to Sweden, and if it does, it's no worse than the flu, and the Swedish elderly are so fit that the virus won't kill them like it did in primitive countries like Italy.
And it will disappear in April, like magic ... No, wait! That wasn't Tegnell. That was the other staunch defender of democracy, freedom and human rights on the other side of the Atlantic, wasn't it?!

dann

Inlägg av dann » ons 03 mar 2021, 09:44

Excellent article about åtgärder, evidens and risk assessment in the pandemic:
Most of us are now familiar with Long COVID. We can see the serious symptoms people are suffering and measure biological changes in their bodies, but we can’t explain what is causing them. More importantly, we don’t yet know how to help these people get better. How do we quantify a risk we don’t understand?
Vaccines have altered the course of the Coronavirus pandemic, but we don’t yet know whether they will prevent Long COVID. Intuition should not be the basis for an informed assessment of risk when the stakes are so high.
From Collective Action to Personal Responsibility: The Big COVID Leap of Faith the Government Wants Us All to Make (BylineTimes, Feb. 24, 2021)

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » ons 03 mar 2021, 13:39

Det verkar som att Jonas Ludvigsson inte har hanterat data på ett korrekt sätt i sin forskning:
Critics slam letter in prestigious journal that downplayed COVID-19 risks to Swedish schoolchildren

Pediatrician and epidemiologist Jonas Ludvigsson of Sweden’s Karolinska Institute has been a staunch defender of his country’s unorthodox coronavirus policies. Among them was the decision in the spring of 2020 to keep preschools and schools open for children through grade nine, despite limited understanding of the virus and with few precautions to prevent school outbreaks. But Ludvigsson’s research, which suggested that policy was relatively safe—and has been widely cited in arguments against school closures—has repeatedly come under fire from critics of Sweden’s approach.

The latest example is a research letter, published online by The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) on 6 January, that looked at severe disease and deaths among children and teachers in Sweden between March and June 2020. Critics—including the authors of two letters NEJM published on 1 March—have said the study was beside the point and a distraction. It’s well known that children are less likely to be hospitalized or die from COVID-19; instead, schools worldwide have shut down to slow the spread of the virus in the wider community.

But Science has learned that another complaint sent to NEJM makes a more serious allegation: that the authors deliberately left out key data that contradicted their conclusion.

The complaint comes from Bodil Malmberg, a private citizen in Vårgårda, Sweden. She used the country’s open records law to obtain email correspondence between Ludvigsson and Swedish chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, the architect of the country’s pandemic policies, that shed light on how the paper came about. Malmberg says she requested the emails because the data in the NEJM paper “did not add up.” Ludvigsson does not dispute the content of the emails, but stands by the study’s conclusions. However, he says the barrage of criticism and personal attacks has made him decide to quit COVID-19 research.

Ludvigsson, whose prepandemic research focused on gastroenterology, was one of the 47 original signers of the Great Barrington Declaration, a controversial document published in October 2020 that argued that pandemic policies should focus on protecting the vulnerable while the rest of the population builds up immunity through natural infection.
Nu ska jag inte sätta diagnoser på folk, men jag kan konstatera att en person med stor empatisk förmåga, det förefaller Ludvigsson inte vara. Tyvärr lär vi inte få läsa om detta i svensk media (jag skulle bli glad om jag får fel här).

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » ons 03 mar 2021, 20:46

I don't understand how a pediatrician looks at data, sees a 70% increase in mortality risk in children, and suppresses the finding in support of ideology. This is deeply, deeply disturbing.

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1366922459530854400
Är det inte uppseendeväckande att utländsk media skriver mer om Ludvigssons fulhantering av data än svensk media (iaf hittills)?

dann

Inlägg av dann » tor 04 mar 2021, 09:44

Hello Sverige, lyssna på Tegnell!
Tegnell: Ett väldigt bra vaccin
- Det är väldigt bra studier. De har väldigt bra kontroll på sina grupper, så det här tyder väldigt starkt på att det ger ett bra skydd, säger statsepidemiolog Anders Tegnell till TT.
- Det var bara det att de hade för få personer, så man fick ingen riktig styrka i den statistik man gjorde. Så allting talar för att det här är ett väldigt bra vaccin, även för äldre.
- Alla vacciner kommer att ha bra och mindre bra sidor. Astra Zenecas vaccin är definitivt ett väldigt bra vaccin.
Senaste nytt om coronaviruset (SVT.se, March 4, 2021 - 6:38)
Let me sum it up for those of you who don't understand the scientific jargon and the many complicated epidemiological concepts:
Det här är ett väldigt bra vaccin!

I have to admit that one thing confused me: Is it correct to assume that the vaccine only gives a bra skydd and not a väldigt bra skydd?
I think the journalist should have asked about this just to make sure. You can never be too careful with this kind of information.

Användarvisningsbild
Anders G

Inlägg av Anders G » tor 04 mar 2021, 14:43

Efter kompletterande studier har det visats att AstraZenekas vaccin kan användas i åldersgruppen över 65 också.
Det får betraktas som evidensbaserat, enligt praxis för läkemedel.
They don't like it up'em, you know!

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » tor 04 mar 2021, 19:38

Vitamin D shows no efficacy against moderate to severe COVID-19 infections

A new trial failed to find evidence that a massive dose of vitamin D improves outcomes in patients with moderate to severe COVID-19 infections.

Vitamin D has long been thought to play a role in supporting immune function, in addition to effects on muscle and bone. Given many people live where there is inadequate sunlight to support vitamin D synthesis for parts of the year, there has been widespread interest in the possible role of vitamin D supplements to help raise vitamin D levels, and possibly prevent infection or minimize the severity of disease. Last September, Dr. Anthony Fauci noted that he was among the millions of Americans that take vitamin D supplements, elevating interest in this supplement. Now a new randomized controlled trial investigates the effects of a single massive dose of vitamin D in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

In this randomized controlled trial, a single large dose of vitamin D had no effect on outcomes in hospitalized COVID-19 patients. This was despite the measurable effectiveness of the supplement at significantly raising serum vitamin D levels. Prospective trials with vitamin D in COVID have been relatively rare, and have suffered from poor quality and mixed results. This findings from this large trial gives more strength to the hypothesis that low vitamin D levels may correlate with poor COVID-19 outcomes, but may not be worsening them. Having said that, there is good evidence that many people have vitamin D deficiency, and supplementation may in fact be appropriate. But there is no strong evidence to suggest that supplementation will help protect you from severe COVID-19 infections.

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » tor 04 mar 2021, 20:38

Mycket intressant läsning! På en helt annan nivå är nationalistiska covidioter.
Steven Novella skrev:The Next Pandemic

COVID-19 may have been a dress-rehearsal for more serious pandemics to come. How do we prepare?

We are just about at a year for the COVID-19 pandemic. After a year COVID has infected more than 115 million people and caused over 2.5 million deaths, with over half a million in the US alone. Pandemic fatigue has definitely set in, but with the rollout of various vaccines we can also see the light at the end of the tunnel. But there appears to be a strong consensus among experts that just because this pandemic ends, as all pandemics eventually do, that does not mean our concerns are over. They may just be getting started.

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the World Health Organization (WHO) Emergencies Program warns that COVID-19 may have just been a “wake-up call”. This was a once-in-a century pandemic, but it may not be another century before the next one hits, and the next one could be far worse. What has changed?

The most obvious factor is simply that the human population has grown. Infectious diseases spread when animals congregate in large numbers. World population is now approaching 8 billion, and that population is increasingly global. Our rising population also brings other important factors. Producing enough food to feed the world includes raising large numbers of animals in close quarters, and they represent breeding grounds for viruses and infectious agents that can jump to humans.

One adaptation, which is the most hopeful thing to emerge during this pandemic, is that health science continues to advance impressively. We not only developed and deployed multiple vaccines within a year of discovering the virus, some are based on an entirely new vaccine platform – the mRNA vaccines (such as the ones developed by Pfizer and Moderna). Because sequencing and making DNA and RNA is now a mature technology, it took only weeks to sequence the genome of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and only days to make the mRNA vaccine once the companies were handed that sequence. It then took months of clinical testing to prove the resulting vaccines were safe and effective – but there clearly is an opportunity here to fast track new vaccines, using a now-proven platform, without having to reinvent the clinical science each time. Quickly producing vaccines in response to new pandemic will likely prove to be one of our most important tools in the future.

We also need to take concrete steps to reduce the probability of new pandemic viruses from emerging. This may include changing practices at factory farms, and regulating wet markets. But we also need to carefully consider development practices that encroach on natural habitats, and habitat destruction in general.

The political challenge, as we have seen, may prove to be the most difficult. Preparedness is critical – we need to put in place, and maintain, a pandemic response infrastructure that can monitor for the emergence of new diseases, and respond effectively. This needs to be a global effort. It should be incredibly obvious now that something that happens on the other side of the planet can have devastating effects at home.

Finally, on the personal and societal level there needs to be permanent changes in culture. We have collective acquired some new skills during this pandemic, and we should not discard them once the pandemic is over. This includes mask-wearing. It should be a simple matter now, and culturally normal and expected, that anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms should remain isolated, but if they have even minor symptoms and need to be in public they should wear a mask and socially distance.

Further, working from home when sick or exposed should also be accepted as normal and responsible behavior. We can all Zoom now, and this should remain if not the default then at least an option for attending meetings and class when necessary. The pandemic also exacerbated and thereby helped reveal socioeconomic disparities. The “digital divide” now has public health consequences, and as we plan infrastructure investment it is clear that making sure everyone can attend class from home should be a priority.

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » fre 05 mar 2021, 23:23

BREAKING—@GovAbbott (R) just announced all businesses in Texas can reopen 100%... and effectively ends the statewide mask mandate.

I want to vomit so bad.

Starting next week,
@GregAbbott_TX will be responsible for all #COVID19 & the inevitable surge.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1 ... 6448202752
Evidensbaserat?

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » lör 06 mar 2021, 00:40

Inte säker på det. Jag tror att barn inte blir sjuka alls, inte har virus i näsan och inte utvecklar förvärvad immunitet. Bara min gissning. Vi får se. Tror man behöver bli rejält sjuk för att utveckla (förvärvad) immunitet

https://twitter.com/AgnesWold/status/12 ... 0540482568
Evidensbaserat?

Skriv svar