Children Are Not "Natural" Scientists

Diskutera sociologi, historia, religionsvetenskap, ekonomi, språk, statsvetenskap o.s.v. ur ett vetenskapligt perspektiv.
Användarvisningsbild
NeuraltNätverk
Avstängd

Children Are Not "Natural" Scientists

Inlägg av NeuraltNätverk » tor 27 jun 2013, 12:15

http://galileospendulum.org/2012/11/15/ ... cientists/
A pernicious myth, repeated with good intentions in many places and by many people, is that children are natural scientists. They are born with something that gets beaten or worn out of them by bad teachers, bad schools, bad educational practices, and then must relearn what it means to be a scientist later in life. Like many myths, there’s a mixture of truth and falsehood, but ultimately the myth is damaging and leads us into bad habits of thought.

I’m going to tentatively say that none of us are “born scientists”. We have the potential to become scientific thinkers and researchers, and some of us will have an easier go of it than others (for reasons springing both from nature and nurture). The job of an educator is to feed the curiosity, use the plasticity, and help the student build scientific intuition, to borrow a phrase my college advisor often used. It may seem paradoxical to talk about building intuition, but it seems to be a useful concept: we can learn to think in certain ways, especially if we start early. We humans aren’t naturally scientific or skeptical thinkers: we often get the wrong end of the stick on basic notions like correlation/causation, randomness, probability, and the like.
Det här är ett okej inlägg och, efter så mycket Russell/Sagan/NDT-dravel om "born scientists", uppfriskande. Men han gick inte tillräckligt långt. De flesta barn är dömda till en livstid i okunnighet.