Hur kommer bilden av Sverige i världen att se ut efter Covid?

Diskutera sociologi, historia, religionsvetenskap, ekonomi, språk, statsvetenskap o.s.v. ur ett vetenskapligt perspektiv.
Nemesis

Hur kommer bilden av Sverige i världen att se ut efter Covid?

Inlägg av Nemesis » lör 30 jan 2021, 15:26

Internationellt så har bilden av Sverige länge varit väldigt positiv, och landet har tillhört de med högst anseende. Se bilden och några exempel nedan.

Bild

För ett antal år sedan gjorde The Economist ett övervägande reportage om de nordiska länderna, låt vara att alla deras exempel inte är klockrena:
The next supermodel

If you had to be reborn anywhere in the world as a person with average talents and income, you would want to be a Viking. The Nordics cluster at the top of league tables of everything from economic competitiveness to social health to happiness. They have avoided both southern Europe’s economic sclerosis and America’s extreme inequality. Development theorists have taken to calling successful modernisation “getting to Denmark”.
Från boken Society Without God:
If there is an earthly heaven for secular folk, contemporary Denmark and Sweden may very well be it: quaint towns, inviting cities, beautiful forests, lonely beaches, healthy democracies, among the lowest violent crime rates in the world, the lowest levels of corruption in the world, excellent educational systems, innovative architecture, strong economies, well-supported arts, successful entrepreneurship, clean hospitals, delicious beer, free health care, maverick filmmaking, egalitarian social policies, sleek design, comfortable bike paths—and not much faith in God.
Sveriges strategi för att hantera pandemin har däremot gett Sverige ett negativt rykte i världen. Oavsett vad man tycker om den svenska strategin (som inte är ämnet för denna tråd), oavsett om man tycker att det är rättvist eller inte, så är det så det ser ut. Till exempel:
Sweden Tries Out a New Status: Pariah State

Long considered the lucky holders of one of the best passports for seamless global travel, Swedes now find themselves with few options for moving about the European Union. Most countries in the bloc have reopened their borders to member nations, but only France, Italy, Spain and Croatia are welcoming Swedes without restrictions.

In several countries, like the Netherlands and Cyprus, they are banned completely. Austria demands a health certificate. Greece makes Swedes quarantine for at least a week, even if they test negative for the coronavirus.

While the emergency laws and “strong travel advice” have upset many Swedes, nothing has been more painful than the behavior of their neighbors, said Ann Linde, Sweden’s foreign minister.
VoF:s ordförande Pontus Böckman intervjuas i detta avsnitt av den australiensiska podcasten The Skeptic Zone, och frågas om Sveriges coronahantering. Värden Richard Saunders säger att många i Australien har fått en negativ bild av ur Sverige hanterar pandemin.

Säg att pandemin, åtminstone i västvärlden, är över inom något eller några år. Hur kommer bilden av Sverige i världen att se ut då? Kommer Sverige att återfå det anseende man hade innan pandemin, eller kommer bilden av landet att bli permanent nersolkad?
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Användarvisningsbild
Matte

Re: Hur kommer bilden av Sverige i världen att se ut efter Covid?

Inlägg av Matte » sön 31 jan 2021, 09:03

Folk runtom i världen följer säkert en del statistik över smittotal etc under en pandemi. Men ska vi tro att de därför har koll på varje lands "strategi?
Es gibt keine Landstrasse für die Wissenschaft, und nur diejenigen haben Aussicht, ihre lichten Höhen zu erreichen, die die Mühe nicht scheuen, ihre steilen Pfade zu erklimmen.

K. Marx

Ernesto

Inlägg av Ernesto » sön 31 jan 2021, 11:19

Om bilden av Sverige försämrats just i Australien, så torde det bero på amatörepidemiologen David Steadsons maniska propaganda.

Han kanske lider av sömnsvårigheter p.g.a. sin mani.

dann

Inlägg av dann » sön 31 jan 2021, 13:46

Yes, that must be it, Ernesto!
- In spite of all the international media asking questions at FoHM's semi-weekly televised press briefings,
- in spite of the international media reporting incessantly about the Swedish pandemic response - these from Bloomberg alone in recent weeks:
Sweden Finally Tightens Covid Measures after Being Slammed by Virus (Bloomberg, Jan. 13, 2021)
Swedish Prime Minister Admits Strategy to Stop Virus Fell Short (Bloomberg, Jan. 23, 2021)
Why Sweden Tightened Its Light-Toucd Covid Rules (Bloomberg, Jan. 29, 2020)
- in spite of reports from news agencies like Reuters:
Sweden reports record daily numbers of COVID-19 deaths, but infection rates may have peaked (Reuters, Jan. 14, 2021)
- in spite of articles in scientific journals:
From the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Public Health Agency, Folkhälsomyndigheten (FHM), embarked on a de-facto herd immunity approach, allowing community transmission to occur relatively unchecked.
No mandatory measures were taken to limit crowds on public transport, in shopping malls, or in other crowded places, while recommending a limit of 50 people for gatherings as of March 29, 2020.
Coronavirus testing, contact tracing, source identification, and reporting, as recommended by WHO, were limited and remain inadequate.
In our view, there is still not sufficient recognition in the national strategy of the importance of presymptomatic and asymptomatic transmission, aerosol transmission, and use of face masks
COVID-19 and the Swedish enigma (TheLancet, Dec 22, 2020)
- in spite of Anders Tegnell and Johan Giesecke trying to persuade foreign politicians and experts to adopt Sweden's herd-immunity-by-infection strategy:
Boris Johnson tood advice from Sweden’s no-lockdown scientist Anders Tegnell before rejecting tougher coronavirus restrictions (Business Insider, Sep. 24, 2020)
Swedish expert backtracks on herd immunity for Ireland (Irish Times, Sep. 23, 2020)
- in spite of countless Swedish residents, nationals as well as foreigners, criticizing Sweden's pandemic strategy in Swedish as well as in English,
- in spite of all this, if Sweden's image has deteriorated in Australia, it must be due to one single Australian guy badmouthing Sweden!

Your conspiracy theory of just one guy is hilarious. In itself, it may actually be one small contribution to ruining Sweden's image abroad.

ETA: If you are right about David Steadson suffering from insomnia, it is more likely to be due to long-term Covid-19 than any kind of mania.

dann

Inlägg av dann » sön 31 jan 2021, 14:52

Nemesis skrev:
lör 30 jan 2021, 15:26
Säg att pandemin, åtminstone i västvärlden, är över inom något eller några år. Hur kommer bilden av Sverige i världen att se ut då? Kommer Sverige att återfå det anseende man hade innan pandemin, eller kommer bilden av landet att bli permanent nersolkad?
I don't think skeptics should worry about image. They should worry about truth. In fact, one of the reasons why Sweden's image has (probably) deteriorated considerably in recent months is the obsession with the image of Sweden's pandemic response. We have seen Swedish health authorities and politicians lie about everything concerning the Swedish strategy, and ordinary Swedes have also defended the obviously inhumane strategy to an extent that I wouldn't have believed possible if I had only heard it described and not seen it with my own eyes.

At the International Skeptics Forum, what shocked people the most was probably how alleged skeptics from Sweden (for instance Clutch Cargo) resorted to lies and manipulation to defend Sweden's image: post 2070.
In the end, Clutch Cargo started posting manipulated numbers every day to 'prove' that New Zealand hadn't eliminated coronavirus and at the same time pretending that Sweden had: e.g. post 2366.

This might have gone down well on a forum frequented mainly by coronavirus deniers or QAnon fanatics, but on a forum frequented by international skeptics, many of them from Australia and New Zealand, it only served to make it seem as if Sweden consists of nothing but stark-raving-mad nationalists.

I have told you before that my reason to start searching for the the attitude of Swedish skeptics of the Swedish strategy was that I couldn't believe that all skeptics in Sweden shared the opinions that I had seen until then.
I think that it would be a good idea for those of you who didn't buy shares in the Swedish delusion to participate in the international discussion. Not in order to improve Sweden's image, but in order to make it clear that not all Swedes (and in particular not all Swedish skeptics!) are as delusional as the ones that many of us have encountered. It will improve the image of Swedish skepticism! :smile2:

dann

Inlägg av dann » sön 31 jan 2021, 21:44

Sverige framstår som ett land som inte förstått lägets allvar. Och mer än det: man är djupt besviken på att landet, som för många tyskar står för en bättre, mera rättvis och framför allt trygg variant av den egna nationen, tycks vara berett att offra sina gamla och svaga, på grund av slapphet eller inkompetens eller till och med på grund av ett missförstånd gällande den enskilda människans förmåga att bete sig ansvarsfullt mot andra.
Sverigebilden i Tyskland är för evigt förändrad (DI, Jan. 31, 2021)
I doubt that David Steadson is to blame for this. Ernesto will have to find somebody else who "lider av sömnsvårigheter p.g.a. sin mani."

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » sön 31 jan 2021, 22:38

Matte skrev:
sön 31 jan 2021, 09:03
Folk runtom i världen följer säkert en del statistik över smittotal etc under en pandemi. Men ska vi tro att de därför har koll på varje lands "strategi?
Det har ju skrivits en hel del i internationella medier om just Sveriges hantering av pandemin.
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » sön 31 jan 2021, 22:40

Ernesto skrev:
sön 31 jan 2021, 11:19
Om bilden av Sverige försämrats just i Australien, så torde det bero på amatörepidemiologen David Steadsons maniska propaganda.

Han kanske lider av sömnsvårigheter p.g.a. sin mani.
Vari består propagandan?

@dann: Svarar på ditt inlägg imorgon.

dann

Inlägg av dann » mån 01 feb 2021, 09:01

This one is about hur Sveriges bild av världen kommer att se ut efter Covid, but it sure didn't age well! :lol:
Blir fint när coronakrisen är total i Danmark och de tittar på oss med lite skamsen blick och vi tittar tillbaka lite medlidsamt på dem, men stänger ÄNDÅ inte gränsen. Förödmjukelse by storsinthet. Ryser.
Johanna Frändén on Twitter (Sep. 22, 2020)
This is the kind of attitude that doesn't really sit well with the rest of the world, but fortunately most of us are able to tell Swedes apart.
I hope that Johanna was able to enjoy the game yesterday afternoon. I didn't. I'm totally uninterested in handboll and I am not a nationalist, so I didn't even watch it. But I do like to tease nationalists, no matter which country they are subservient to.

ETA: It seems to have been a joke against Swedish nationalism from the very beginning. I'm not sure:
Blir fint när handbollskrisen är total i Danmark och de tittar på oss med lite skamsen blick och vi tittar tillbaka lite medlidsamt på dem, men fortsätter ÄNDÅ göra mål.
Förödmjukelse by överkörning. Ryser.
Retweet (Jan. 30, 2021)

Användarvisningsbild
Johannes

Inlägg av Johannes » mån 01 feb 2021, 09:14

Har lyssnat på ett par program på P1 om detta under förra året (har tyvärr inga länkar). De intervjuade bl a någon forskare i ämnet och någon varumärkesexpert. Slutsatsen var i alla fall att det tar mycket lång tid att ändra bilden av ett land utomlands, så ingen trodde att covid kommer att ha någon större påverkan på Sverigebilden.

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » mån 01 feb 2021, 19:17

Johannes skrev:
mån 01 feb 2021, 09:14
Har lyssnat på ett par program på P1 om detta under förra året (har tyvärr inga länkar). De intervjuade bl a någon forskare i ämnet och någon varumärkesexpert. Slutsatsen var i alla fall att det tar mycket lång tid att ändra bilden av ett land utomlands, så ingen trodde att covid kommer att ha någon större påverkan på Sverigebilden.
Fast det stämmer ju inte nödvändigtvis.

The Trump era has seen a decline in America’s global reputation

U.S. Image Plummets Internationally as Most Say Country Has Handled Coronavirus Badly

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » mån 01 feb 2021, 19:37

dann skrev:
sön 31 jan 2021, 14:52
Nemesis skrev:
lör 30 jan 2021, 15:26
I don't think skeptics should worry about image. They should worry about truth.
Det håller jag helt med om. Tänkte på trådens fråga mer i ett statsvetenskapligt perspektiv.
dann skrev:
In fact, one of the reasons why Sweden's image has (probably) deteriorated considerably in recent months is the obsession with the image of Sweden's pandemic response. We have seen Swedish health authorities and politicians lie about everything concerning the Swedish strategy, and ordinary Swedes have also defended the obviously inhumane strategy to an extent that I wouldn't have believed possible if I had only heard it described and not seen it with my own eyes.
De skjuter dessutom sig själva i foten. De försöker skriva om historien, men vem som helst kan ju kolla upp hur det var.

Nu sägs det att vi hela tiden har haft i grunden samma strategi som alla andra länder. Så lät det inte i våras. Då var resten av världen populistisk i sin hantering av Covid, och Tegnell sa i somras att resten av världen blivit galen.
dann skrev:
At the International Skeptics Forum, what shocked people the most was probably how alleged skeptics from Sweden (for instance Clutch Cargo) resorted to lies and manipulation to defend Sweden's image: post 2070.
In the end, Clutch Cargo started posting manipulated numbers every day to 'prove' that New Zealand hadn't eliminated coronavirus and at the same time pretending that Sweden had: e.g. post 2366.

This might have gone down well on a forum frequented mainly by coronavirus deniers or QAnon fanatics, but on a forum frequented by international skeptics, many of them from Australia and New Zealand, it only served to make it seem as if Sweden consists of nothing but stark-raving-mad nationalists.
Rätta mig om jag har fel, men är det inte en ganska blandad skara som är medlemmar på ISF, inte nödvändigtvis bara skeptiker? Har för mig att det finns en del Trumpanhängare där också.
dann skrev:
I have told you before that my reason to start searching for the the attitude of Swedish skeptics of the Swedish strategy was that I couldn't believe that all skeptics in Sweden shared the opinions that I had seen until then.
I think that it would be a good idea for those of you who didn't buy shares in the Swedish delusion to participate in the international discussion. Not in order to improve Sweden's image, but in order to make it clear that not all Swedes (and in particular not all Swedish skeptics!) are as delusional as the ones that many of us have encountered. It will improve the image of Swedish skepticism! :smile2:
Verkligen beklagligt att en så pass stor del av de aktiva medlemmarna på forumet (som iofs inte är så många) stödjer Tegnell och ägnar sig åt vetenskapsförnekelse. I synnerhet nu (att man till en början tyckte strategin var vettig är en annan sak), cirka ett år in i pandemin. Ni som är aktiva på Facebook där detta tydligen diskuterats bland svenska skeptiker, hur ser det ut där? Är stödet för Tegnell kompakt, eller finns det många kättare?

dann

Inlägg av dann » mån 01 feb 2021, 20:43

Nemesis skrev:
mån 01 feb 2021, 19:37
Rätta mig om jag har fel, men är det inte en ganska blandad skara som är medlemmar på ISF, inte nödvändigtvis bara skeptiker? Har för mig att det finns en del Trumpanhängare där också.
There were a lot Trumpistas at the International Skeptics Forum at one point, but they've gone awfully quiet in recent weeks. Many of them used to be Libertarians, confusing Ayn Rand's 'Objectivism' with objectivity, I guess. Guys like Dawkins, Pinker and Shermer also leaned towards Libertarianism or Neo-conservatism.
I think the obvious hatred of science exhibited by Trump and Republicans has made many skeptics who used to lean Republican become more left-wing in the past five years. Recent polls seem to confirm this.
Nemesis skrev:
Verkligen beklagligt att en så pass stor del av de aktiva medlemmarna på forumet (som iofs inte är så många) stödjer Tegnell och ägnar sig åt vetenskapsförnekelse. I synnerhet nu (att man till en början tyckte strategin var vettig är en annan sak), cirka ett år in i pandemin. Ni som är aktiva på Facebook där detta tydligen diskuterats bland svenska skeptiker, hur ser det ut där? Är stödet för Tegnell kompakt, eller finns det många kättare?
I have looked at the VoF Facebook page a couple of times, but never saw any discussions of Tegnell, FoHM or the Swedish strategy.
I was a little surprised (and disappointed) to see quotations from and links to FoHM psedo-science (about asymptomatic spread) at VoF's Facebook page in answer to this question:
Finns det någon stöd för att Corona vaccin minskar smittspridning?
Utifrån den erfarenhet som finns av covid-19 och andra liknande sjukdomar, är bedömningen att smittspridningen från personer utan symtom står för en liten andel smittspridning.
Smittspridning (FoHM)
It may correspond to Anders Tegnell's "erfarenhet", but it is at odds with actual research.
The same FoHM page still claims:
"Är covid-19 en luftburen smitta?
Nej, covid-19 räknas inte som en luftburen smitta."

Nemesis

Inlägg av Nemesis » mån 01 feb 2021, 22:11

dann skrev:
mån 01 feb 2021, 20:43
Nemesis skrev:
There were a lot Trumpistas at the International Skeptics Forum at one point, but they've gone awfully quiet in recent weeks. Many of them used to be Libertarians, confusing Ayn Rand's 'Objectivism' with objectivity, I guess.
Vetenskaplig skepticism och objektivism? Märklig kombination. Objektivister tenderar att förneka klimatförändringar (iaf att de orsakas av betydande mänsklig påverkan) och har en väldigt illa underbyggd filosofi. Akademiska filosofer tar i regel inte objektivism seriöst.
dann skrev:
Guys like Dawkins, Pinker and Shermer also leaned towards Libertarianism or Neo-conservatism.
Shermer är libertarian, även om han, om jag minns rätt, gjorde avsteg från vissa libertarianska principer. Har för mig att han var för "gun control" till en viss grad. Kan vara helt fel ute, många år sedan jag läste nåt av Shermer.

Jag har ingen aning vilken politisk inriktning Pinker har. Vet att han var anarkist i sin ungdom, men övergav senare den ideologin.

Dawkins är i grunden sosse. Han har alltid röstat Labour och Liberal Democrats. Wikipedia har en sida om hans politiska åsikter.
dann skrev:
I think the obvious hatred of science exhibited by Trump and Republicans has made many skeptics who used to lean Republican become more left-wing in the past five years. Recent polls seem to confirm this.
Är inte förvånad. I USA så är ju demokraterna det enda parti man kan rösta på om man överhuvudtaget är något sånär vetenskapsvänlig, iaf på nationell nivå. Även om de är långtifrån perfekta.
dann skrev:
Nemesis skrev:
I have looked at the VoF Facebook page a couple of times, but never saw any discussions of Tegnell, FoHM or the Swedish strategy.
I was a little surprised (and disappointed) to see quotations from and links to FoHM psedo-science (about asymptomatic spread) at VoF's Facebook page in answer to this question:
Finns det någon stöd för att Corona vaccin minskar smittspridning?
Utifrån den erfarenhet som finns av covid-19 och andra liknande sjukdomar, är bedömningen att smittspridningen från personer utan symtom står för en liten andel smittspridning.
Smittspridning (FoHM)
It may correspond to Anders Tegnell's "erfarenhet", but it is at odds with actual research.
The same FoHM page still claims:
"Är covid-19 en luftburen smitta?
Nej, covid-19 räknas inte som en luftburen smitta."
Beklagligt att se, även om jag kan förstå varför. Denna typ av påståenden förekommer ofta i svensk media.

dann

Inlägg av dann » tis 02 feb 2021, 11:59

Nemesis skrev:
mån 01 feb 2021, 22:11
Vetenskaplig skepticism och objektivism? Märklig kombination. Objektivister tenderar att förneka klimatförändringar (iaf att de orsakas av betydande mänsklig påverkan) och har en väldigt illa underbyggd filosofi. Akademiska filosofer tar i regel inte objektivism seriöst.

Shermer är libertarian, även om han, om jag minns rätt, gjorde avsteg från vissa libertarianska principer. Har för mig att han var för "gun control" till en viss grad. Kan vara helt fel ute, många år sedan jag läste nåt av Shermer.
When I read Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things, I found it weird that the Ayn Rand cult for some reason was described as the unlikeliest cult. The only reason for this was his own libertarian bias. The Rand cult wasn't any more unlikely than the Trump cult.
Nemesis skrev:
Jag har ingen aning vilken politisk inriktning Pinker har. Vet att han var anarkist i sin ungdom, men övergav senare den ideologin.
Steven Pinker’s ideas are fatally flawed. These eight graphs show why. (OpenDemocracy, May 21, 2018)
Nemesis skrev:
Dawkins är i grunden sosse. Han har alltid röstat Labour och Liberal Democrats. Wikipedia har en sida om hans politiska åsikter.
In recent years, I have seen Dawkins speak out against social Darwinism:
"[Evolution] is the explanation for why we exist. It is not something to guide our lives in our own society. [...] What we need is a truly anti-Darwinian society—anti-Darwinian in the sense that we do not wish to live in a society where...the strongest suppress the weak...I want to live in a society where we take care of the sick, take care of the weak, take care of the oppressed."
Political views of Richard Dawkins: Social views (Wikipedia)
I am all in on that one. And it makes me wonder if he has commented on the Swedish strategy. I'll have to look into that. As a Brit and a popularizer of science, he should have!
Nemesis skrev:
Är inte förvånad. I USA så är ju demokraterna det enda parti man kan rösta på om man överhuvudtaget är något sånär vetenskapsvänlig, iaf på nationell nivå. Även om de är långtifrån perfekta.
I know next to nothing about other parties than Dems and the GOP.
Nemesis skrev:
Beklagligt att se, även om jag kan förstå varför. Denna typ av påståenden förekommer ofta i svensk media.
I had still expected skeptics to be better informed, in particular at this point.

Skriv svar