Långcovid och kvacksalveri: Koppning

Diskutera det som påstås vara vetenskapligt grundat men som inte är det, samt andra empiriska påståenden utan belägg. Här kan du även diskutera sekter.
dann

Långcovid och kvacksalveri: Koppning

Inlägg av dann » mån 26 apr 2021, 17:39

I have been waiting for quacks to start appealing to people who suffer from long Covid. Long-Covid sufferers are 'gefundenes Fressen' since they are a group with symptoms that just won't go away, and the established health-care system doesn't yet seem to know how to treat them, which makes them particularly vulnerable to quacks.

Today I noticed that a sometimes much-too-popular TV show features this tonight at 19-20:00:
Sarah Grünewald har kæmpet med voldsomme senfølger, efter hun blev ramt af covid-19, og nu har hun taget alternative muligheder i brug for at komme ovenpå."
Aftenshowet (DR.dk, April 26, 2021)
And after a little googling, I found this:
Sarah Grünewald smittet med corona (BT.dk, March 22, 2021)
Sarah Grünewald forvirret og i smerter af corona-senfølger: 'Jeg glemmer, hvad en gaffel hedder' (BT.dk, March 31, 2021)
Sarah Grünewald får alternativ coronasenfølge-behandling: Se det vilde billede her (BT.dk, April 19, 2021)

I had no idea who this woman is, but she appears to be a former model, actress and TV presenter, so it wouldn't surprise me if she has now become an 'influencer'. Her celebrity status seems to be the only thing that makes her story more interesting than a story from one of the many other people with long Covid.

I fear that the TV show tonight will present the alternative treatment cupping without any expert comments at all.
I have sent them the following two links in the hope that they will ask experts for advice before they start advertising cupping:
The Ridiculous and Possible Harmful Practice of Cupping (Forbes, May 13, 2019)
Cupping – Olympic Pseudoscience (ScienceBasedMedicine, Aug. 10, 2016)
The best thing would of course have been if they simply had experts warn against quack treatments instead of[/I ]inviting the customers of quacks to tell how much they (allegedly) benefit from alternative treatment.

Is this a phenomenon that any of you have observed in Sweden? With more people suffering from long Covid since spring 2020, I assume that the market for quacks is considerably larger than in Denmark.

dann

Re: Långcovid och kvacksalveri: Koppning

Inlägg av dann » lör 01 maj 2021, 07:04

As expected, the TV show was bloody awful, but people's reaction to it was great! :smile2:
Mandag aften var tv-vært Sarah Grünewald i 'Aftenshowet' på DR, hvor hun fortalte om alternativ behandling mod coronasenfølger.
Interviewet var knap nok rullet over skærmen, før det væltede ind med kritiske røster om 'Aftenshowet' og den manglende kritiske vinkel i interviewet.
På Twitter påpegede flere, at det var et 'pinligt ukritisk' indslag, hvor Sarah Grünewald fik frit spil til at fortælle om senfølger.
'Sarah Grünewald er i 'Aftenshowet', hvor hun nærmest helt uimodsagt snakker om alternativ behandling mod corona-senfølger, samtidig med at hun har reklameret for den alternative behandling på insta. Det er en kæmpe ommer,' skriver en bruger.
(EkstraBladet.dk, April 29, 2021)
I don't think they will make the same mistake any time soon.

Användarvisningsbild
Sören F

Inlägg av Sören F » lör 01 maj 2021, 09:17

Jeg ville gætte dann, som svensker ellers boende i Danmark her :-) , at du også kunne skrive på dansk . Som nabo-indspil synes det fungere fint, i hvert fald, i et norskt forum med svensk har jeg set.

dann

Inlägg av dann » lör 01 maj 2021, 13:31

You are not the first one to suggest it, but since I began discussing the Swedish pandemic strategy at the International Skeptics Forum, and since it was debated in the international media from the start, it felt natural for me to continue in English here. Besides, it may be pretty easy for Scandinavians to read each other's languages, but it is often quite difficult for foreigners who have settled down in a Scandinavian country. On Twitter, much of the discussion is also a combination of Swedish and English, with the occasional Dane chipping in in Danish now and then.

Somebody may have managed to get Aftenshowet suspended on Twitter for coronavirus disinformation, but I am not sure if that is what has happened.
If anybody wants to watch the program, it has optional subtitles in Danish:
Aftenshowet: Mød bl.a. Susse Wold, Thomas Bo Larsen og Saray Grünewald (DR.dk). The talk with Sarah Grünewald begins at 27:45.

Skriv svar